In recent years there has been a significant widespread adoption of RAP products being re-introduced into the production of hot mix asphalt.
Some of the benefits obtained include:
- reduction in mixing costs through savings derived in bitumen and natural aggregates
- reduction in landfill tipping fees
- reduced transport costs
- improvement in structural contribution of asphalt pavement recycled asphalt fractions
- improvement in deformation resistance of asphalt mix
- complimentary to the adoption of Warm Mix Asphalt technology (WAM) which results in reducing the carbon footprint associated in the production of asphalt
Potential uses for RAP products include:
- high bitumen yielding raw material for the production of asphalt mixes.
- sealing grit alternative ideal as a surface void filler or for blinding off fresh tacky bitumen surfaces
- source of recycled aggregates ideal for asphalt production
- alternative recycled aggregate option for membrane bitumen seals
- excellent for sub-base and basecourse materials. Suitable as a final running course in low traffic volume applications